Friday, February 14, 2014

Love it!

I spent some time this afternoon quilting and really enjoyed it. Although I have been quilting for a long time, I feel like I am learning something new! Believe it or not I really enjoyed stitching out the straight lines that we were to do this week free motion style because it is really helping me with my foot and hand speed regulation. Sometimes I see some areas on the back of my quilt (especially when doing loops or curves) where the thread looks like the stitches are not 'tight" or locked together. Does that make sense? It's more like the bobbin thread is laying on the bottom side, and if the thread was cut or picked loose the whole line of stitching would just bust loose because the stitching is not tight woven....(ok did anyone follow that at ALL?!) ANYWAY, I am finding that by stitching straight lines towards me, I am getting into a groove of the speed that I should be feeding the fabric through as well as how much I should push the gas to keep up with that speed. I am doing the outside line around the block first (I call that my warm up lap) and then I start quilting on the inside of the block. This gives me some time to practice speed/feed control and then do a better job when I start quilting out the middle. I am much happier changing my thread color choice to the butter yellow and am officially caught up to speed with the free motion quilt along! :0) YAHOOOOOO!


 

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know exactly what you mean! Your block looks great!

Liv Aagot's Quilt Blog said...

Hi, and thanks a lot for your nice comments on my blog! Your blocks look fabulous! The change of thread was snart, and it's fun reading about your progress on this quilt along! Greetings from Liv Aagot, Norway

sylviatrartyp said...

Glad you enjoyed your Valentine quilting!!!! We lost our 13 yr old Golden Retriever on Monday, Belle. We are grieving...cannot remember if I had a Golden T-shirt in the mix.

sylviatrartyp said...

Jessica, what about the scarf???
I would love to see a picture of one!!! I love them!!!! Remember, Jack wants a throw out of one of his quilts and the one that is so bad, maybe a piece to frame. You are soooo awesome!!!!